Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"A Serving of Sexism, with a Side Order of Ageism, Anyone?"

I was doing my weekly browse through feministing and the title of an article made me not want to leave the website without seeing what it was about...

The article was a woman in her "lower to mid-twenties" who was hanging out with a few of her friends (around the same age) at a local coffee shop discussing an issue happening on wall street at the time, politics, their opinions, etc. They weren't speaking too loudly, but, either the tables were close enough that they were speaking just loud ENOUGH or this man was just outwardly rude and decided to eavesdrop on their conversation. And not only did he eavesdrop, but he also decided that he needed to put his "two sense" into their private conversation.

On top of all that, referring to the group of women as "young girls" was offensive, and then he decided to throw in some sexism while he was at it. The fact that he thought that it was absurd that they were so "upset about any of it" is one thing, but to come over and actually say something to them about it is another. He showed his male chauvinistic attitude by saying that they will "obviously" get married, have kids, and have their husbands take care of them. So why worry about it? What a JERK.

My opinion is that if you want to have that type of attitude towards women and that entire subject in general, that is just fine by me. But do NOT come over into a conversation of women that you have no idea who they are, where they come from, what they believe, etc. and tell them what you think without them asking you first. If we wanted your opinion, we would have asked you, now wouldn't have we? He obviously had no regards for their feelings or views and decided that his were much superior which is why he needed to share them. Grant it, I was not present when the particular situation happened, therefore I do not know the attitude with which he presented his opinion. Either way, even if he had said his side of the story with the best of intentions, I still believe it was rude and uncalled for.

The women in the coffee shop did not know how to respond to such a situation, and I do not blame them. I am one of the worst people to deal with confrontation, especially with people I have never met before (most of the time O=]). I have no idea how I would have reacted, but I know that if that ever happens to me (or them, again) I will now have a response ready for it! haha

I do believe that it was great that this group of women were getting together and discussing politics and the issues of the wall street (whatever that was). I am trying to get more involved with all of that myself and become more educated with what is going on in politics. Especially now that I am getting older and it is, in my opinion, my responsibility to know about it.

I think we need to ignore sexist men who believe that women should not care about anything but how to cook them good food and take care of the children, and take a stand for what we believe in to be the sassy, independent women that we are! :]

We need to ignore the so-called "pink collar" cattegories and sexist approaches and just do what we want to do, no matter what the "social norm" is or is expected of us.


Any feedback on this ridiculous story? What would you have done?


<3

3 comments:

Britty said...

It's like he was trying to say they didn't have a say in what is going on in the country they live in (at least I'm pretty sure she lives here, she used the word "bloody" which is an England thing..) but even if they didn't, it's still her right to have an opinion. I've been in this kind of situation before, approached by a man who wanted to add his "two cents". Unfortunately for him, I have a loud mouth, and I can be very rude back to someone I feel is being rude to me. When he started talking I gave him this look, shook my head, cut him off and said, "This may be a private conversation in public, but that doesn't mean we want your opinion, thanks." I got called several names, but I think he got the point..

ewest said...

It almost always seems that men who feel the need to show their "manliness" off every chance possbile have underlying insecurities within themselves. I think it is great that young women are engaged in the world around them, and rely on themselves for information, instead of a man. Also, to the comment he made about them getting married and having a man take care of them, my mom, as well as several other women i know, are married and they not only take care of themselves and their families, but they still have time to remain educated about the world around them.

AwkwardMorning said...

While the man had no right to interrupt their conversation he was just trying to be nice. He probably did not have any real social skills and just wanted to talk to these women. It is obvious that they should have been outraged but then it’s not such a big deal. It is America and people should be able to express their opinions.