Thursday, December 4, 2008

Monica Brown's Silver Star

So I am going to be honest, I have never really be one to watch the news or 60 minutes or anything like that. But the other night, I was sitting at the computer in the TV room while my mom was watching 60 minutes, and a particular story caught my eye...



Monica Brown, a 19 year old female from Lake Jackson, Texas, is a medic in the military and was recently rewarded the Silver Star Medal for Gallantry in combat. Since World War II, Monica is the second woman to receive this prestigous reward due to her bravery during a tragic occurrence while in Paktika, Afghanistan in April 2007.




Monica Brown saved the lives of five men traveling in one of the Humvees after being struck with explosives (an IED). With the help of Staff Srgnt. Jose Santos, Monica risked her life to save these men from burning to death. Two of the men survived with life-threatening injuries -- Spc Stanson Smith & Spc Larry Spray.







As I watched the 60 minutes episode, I listened to Srgnt Green and two other of Monica Brown's superior officers speak of her bravery and their awe to such a great job she had done. According to Military procedure, women are not to be in frontline combat, but may temporarily be assigned to a specific unit for a specific period of time that may involve frontline combat.


Since women are technically not allowed in frontline combat in the Military, there was incinuation on the 60 minutes program that there has been some controversy on the fact that she received the Silver Star. Some of the men may believe that she did not do an out of the ordinary deed, and that she was just doing what she was trained to do. That the fact that she is a woman takes a toll on her receiving this honorable award. The interviewer even showed photos of the two men I spoke of earlier, Spray & Smith, and said that they chose not to say any words. Smith even went as far as to say, "women have no business being on the frontline."


I am amazed and impressed at Monica Brown's modesty and determination when telling the interviewer about her experience. And I applaud her for being so humble about the whole thing. I think it's pretty crappy that she saved that man's life and he still has the nerve to say that about women being on the frontline. I mean, that's fine if that's his opinion and everything, but is it really necessary to say to someone who will most likely put it on 60 minutes? I persoanlly don't think so. What do you all think? Watch the video & let me know!


1 comment:

catie said...

I think that women should be allowed in combat because being assigned their temporally is almost the same thing. I believe that she that they did the right thing in giving the medal to her